Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Shrinky Dink pins

After feeling inspired for a while, I finally got at making some custom Shrinky Dink pins over the weekend. I might be addicted...

I first got the idea to do some, especially bees, from the book Pretty Little Pincushions. The beehive pincushion is cute, but it's SO much cuter with little bee pins in it! Then when I saw the Wee Wonderfuls Shrinky Dink pin tutorial last week, I knew I had to do it. I got my new colored pencil roll out and spent Saturday and Sunday mornings tracing and coloring. I just guessed on the size, but the bees turned out to be perfect! Their finished wingspan is about 3/8".

Unfortunately, these butterflies didn't work out as well. They're a little bit bigger than I'd hoped. Oh well--they're still cute. Although I think I'm coloring them too heavily with the colored pencil. It seems as though the color on the back/rough side is kind of chalky and will rub off once they're shrunk. Learning curve, I guess.

I made these daisies using white Shrinky Dink (the others were made using the clear stuff) and then baked them on some yellow glass-head quilting pins I had. I was worried about the size ratio of center to petals, but I think they turned out well.

They also look pretty cute with the bees!

No comments: