Wednesday, September 10, 2008

WIP - garden trellis quilt

And here's my last catch-up post from Labor Day weekend's mega crafting. This is the beginning of a jelly roll quilt from the book Jelly Roll Quilts (which I also bought from my Crafter's Choice book club--it's an addiction, I tell you). It's a jelly roll pattern, but I had a fat quarter pack I wanted to use instead for a less scrappy look. So I cut my own 2-1/2" strips from the fat quarters. The piecing of these blocks was really demanding. I had to make light/dark pairs, then pair the pairs, then stitch the four strips into a tube, then cut the blocks at 60-degree angles, then unpicked the stitches on the skinny side and pressed them into squares.

So now I have these 80 blocks which are then arranged in sets of four, then into rows, then the top. I'm planning for this to be a Christmas gift, so I probably won't be able to show much more of it before it's finished and received, but I hope to be able to sneak in some peeks.

Last night I was home alone while Rob was teaching a night class. Instead of quilting my swap quilt, though, I ended up watching a bunch of stuff On-Demand. One of the things I watched was True Blood, the new Alan Ball series on HBO. I will probably continue watching. Between this show and all the Twilight phenomena going on, I feel it's safe to proclaim: Vampires are the new black.

No comments: