Sunday, August 23, 2009

S.T.U.D. August sent

STUD Aug sent
Here's the mini-quilt I made and sent for August's STUD challenge - "buildings." It came from an idea from one of my coworkers, actually. I'd been considering making a birdhouse out of selvedges, but wanted to do something less time-intensive. Then this beehive idea presented itself and seemed perfect!

STUD Aug bee detail 1

When I couldn't find bee buttons like I'd wanted, I made these out of Shrinky-Dink clear plastic. I embroidered the flight path to add a little detail. This what my first time using fusible web, and I really liked how easy it made everything. I stitched around the beehive in brown quilting thread once I had the quilt sandwiched so I didn't have to applique that area and then quilt it, too. I quilted the background in a scribbly stipple. I hadn't done any free-motion quilting in a while and was nervous about it, though I guess I shouldn't have been, because it went really well!

More catch-up posts to come...

3 comments:

eileensideways said...

that is soooo cute. your fabric choices are great. love the little 3D bees you made with shrink plastic. you are so talented.

Anonymous said...

i love those bees! sooooo adorable

SewCalGal said...

I love, love, love your mini-quilt. Excellent design, colors, fabric & quilting. This is sew cute. The only problem I see, is that I now want it!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com