Thursday, March 18, 2010

Disappearing nine-patch, in voiles

DNP top 2
Disappearing crafter instead, perhaps? I have just been so snowed under with work that I haven't even been able to keep up with my blogging, much less that of the others I read. Gah! Life! It always seems to be getting in the way... This finished quilt top was made from Anna Maria Horner voiles, the moonlight palette, I believe. I had ordered a fat quarter pack from Pink Chalk Fabrics with a gift certificate I had won from True Up way back in January. They are not cheap, these voiles, but they sure are lovely, and I figured I'd treat myself, because isn't that what a gift certificate is for?

Iris on DNP top
So the fabrics arrived in January, but then they just sat in a (very very large) pile of fabrics in my crafting space, waiting for the right inspiration to strike. How to use them and let them shine? Then I stumbled upon this quilt on Flickr. Perfect. A disappearing nine-patch pattern is so simple, yet complicated enough to not be boring. I cut the original squares to 9" and then re-trimmed the final blocks to 12.5". I'm waiting for batting to arrive, then piecing the back and hoping to quilt this soon! I think I will just keep it for myself. Selfish, I know, but those voiles are just too tempting....!

No comments: