Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jasmine top in teal

Jasmine teal 1
I finally have a top finished that I can enter in the Made by Rae Spring Top Sewalong! This is the Colette Patterns Jasmine blouse, version 1 but with the shorter ties from version 2, sewn up in a loosely woven cotton lawn. It photographs a lot more blue, but is actually a teal color with bright white flowers.

Jasmine teal 2
Here I am wearing it with my Meringue skirt, which gets a lot more wear than I initially thought it would! The blouse is completely cut on the bias, which gives it this lovely silhouette and also means no closures! Yay!

Jasmine teal 4
Bias also means that the seams were a pain in the butt to sew with a loose weave. I think my fabric choice for this top made everything a lot more difficult than it needed to be. I ended up with a weird ripple / bump in the top of the center back seam that took me three tries to fix. Also: even after letting this top "settle" on the hanger for nearly a week before hemming it, the hem is still a mess.

Jasmine teal 5
So, tucked in it is! The only change I made to the pattern this time around was to shorten the length at the shorten line by 1". (You really can't just take length off the bottom of this pattern because it is shape-skimming.) No FBA necessary. Yay! I also used a skinny ribbon for the collar loop because making one from the pattern piece I'd cut seemed impossibly small. I think for my next try I will increase the circumference of the cuffs by a tiny bit, as they're a little snug going over my elbows.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I really like your fabric choice for the pattern.

ginny said...

Oh my, your Jasmine is the prettiest I've ever seen! So very well done! You'll have a vote from me for the Spring Top Sewalong for sure! Now I need to pull out my Jasmine pattern and try to make a version half as nice as yours :D.

Johanna said...

Just found your blog through Darling Autodidact who gave you an award. You make lovely garments :) I very much love this Jasmine. So adorable!