Monday, October 6, 2008

WIP - circles mini-quilt (again)


Again, here's my WIP circles mini-quilt. This has been in-progress for a long time, but I'm beginning to see the end of the tunnel. The reason it's taking me so long is that I wanted to do it completely by hand, for practice. So, all of the piecing and appliqué was done by hand. The only thing I used the machine for was to make the quilt sandwich. I'd never done this before, but the instructions called for layering the batting, the top, and the back, sewing through all three, and then turning inside-out and stitching the hole closed. I really like bindings and the way they finish a quilt, but I am out of the brown fabric I'd want to bind with AND I've already invested days' worth of work, so figured it was okay if I took the easy way out on this part. The photo above is of the quilt after I'd done the sandwiching and some additional basting (I spray-basted the top to the batting first). Since that photo was taken, I've entered the world of hand-quilting and have made a little progress in the outside borders. Finished project pics to come soon--in a couple of weeks? 

The fabrics above are from Mark Lipinski's Califon line for Northcott. I fell in love with the bright colors, bold shapes and swirls... There's also a stripe in there, but I guess it's hiding in this photo! Anyway, these are destined to become a quilt for a little one. I have yet to begin, but I know it'll stitch up fast once I do. I love Atkinson Designs and the ease and speed of the Yellow Brick Road pattern. 

Also, I just want to take a minute to mention my new love, Mark Lipinski. This guy is fabulous! I am now subscribing to Quilter's Home magazine, which I've only read one issue of but have loved! It's informational, humorous, and a breath of fresh air. So far I haven't found the patterns to be anything fabulous, but the same can be said of a lot of quilting mags, so I won't hold it against him. However, Mark, dear, you need a better copyeditor! 

And last but not least, I gave away the bird mobile this weekend, but not before the sun came out and I was able to get a couple more pictures in better lighting. Iris was curious and came over to check it out. The cats were too sweet all weekend! Aww. My friend Cynthia loved her birthday gift, and I couldn't be happier! 

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Your bird mobile is so seriously beautiful. I want one just like it. Was it hard to attach them to the sticks? Did I miss your post on how to make it? I think making one would be really fun.