Yesterday was a sad day at the office. My awesome assistant, Molly, left. :( We were all so sad to see her go, and I couldn't let her leave without taking some more craftiness with her, so I did what I do: I made her a quilt.
The pattern is Atkinson Design's Yellow Brick Road, my go-to fat quarter quilt pattern. It's quick, it's easy, and it looks great. What's not to love? The fabrics are all from Anna Maria Horner's Garden Party line by Free Spirit and they were a joy to work with. I love me some Moda fabrics and what have you, but I seem to really be drawn to the Free Spirit ones. Hmm.
I'd never done a quilt with a large directional print on the back before. I did some design matching with the seam and did a pretty decent job, if I do say so myself. The quilting was all free-motion curlicues with variegated YLI machine-quilting thread and it turned out pretty well. I'm practicing it a bit with all of my swap quilts and getting fairly comfortable with it.
I took this photo when Molly was opening the quilt. It came out a little crazy-looking, I think, but it works. Molly said it was very Anthropologie-like. Huge compliment, though I think a lot of that is owed to the fabrics I used. I followed the Yellow Brick Road pattern precisely, but I added a wider fussy-cut border, and I used the polka dotted square in the corners because I was iffy about mitering the pattern at the corners. Overall, I think it was very successful.