Thursday, January 22, 2009

STUD updates

There I go, disappearing again. Without my amazing assistant and with only a part-time intern, I have been swamped at work. I put in a lot of overtime in January already, and I was getting home late and drained so that it was all I could do to make a bloody mary and try not to pass out before 10pm. I've been stressed and easily annoyed, which makes my commute such a joy. I've become pretty misanthropic. Rob and I (semi-) joked about making me a tee that says "Person-hater." I would if we had color ink in the printer! 

Anyway, things are settling down and I'm being better about carving out crafty time as a necessity (because it is, especially for my sanity). The pic above is of my received STUD December mini-quilt, made by Isaacsmama. The theme was sweet, sour, or savory, and this is definitely a sour little quiltie! It's about 9" square, and the colors are just great! 

Here is a sneak peek of my January STUD mini-quilt. The theme is sing it, read it, watch it. My quilt is inspired by Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic. It's my favorite of his films, and the colors and everything about it are so great! I re-watched it while cutting out my patchwork pieces and realized it's a hundred times better than anything we saw this year (and, yes, we did see Slumdog Millionaire). I finished hand-stitching the binding last night, so just need to pop it in the wash and it's done! 

It's been a couple of months since I started doing the swap and working on mini-quilts so much. I am using them to line the really drab hallway in the stairwell up to our apartment (which is the top floor of a three-family home, so nobody goes up there but us and our visitors.) 

It's really hard to photograph because the house has those narrow New England stairways and I couldn't get far enough from the wall to get everything in one picture. Still, you can kind of see what I'm going for. After this weekend, there should be two more quilts on that wall! I have my twin quilt for January done except for hand-stitching the binding. 

1 comment:

Karen said...

The mini-quilts look wonderful on the wall.