Friday, May 22, 2009

May S.T.U.D. quit revealed

STUD May 1
I've just heard from my partner that she received my May Swap Til You Drop quilt, so now I can post it! The theme this month was "twisted traditional." My partner loves log cabin blocks, so I knew I wanted that to be my starting point. But how to take a log cabin block and twist it? 

STUD May square
Turn it into a circle, of course! I designed this paper-piecing pattern myself and am immensely proud of the fact that it actually worked! The middle two squares of each log cabin block finish at 1/4", so paper piecing was the only way I could make this work. There are 15 pieces in each log cabin block (which finish at 3"), so 60 pieces in each circle block (which finish at 6"). I added sashing to the middle only and not the outsides because I thought the white binding would help equalize the amount of white around each circle. 

STUD May block close
I quilted this in three echo-quilted circles around each circular block because I really wanted to emphasize the circle-ness of these, but I'm not sure I like how that part turned out. Oh well. 

STUD May + twin 1
I also finished my twin for me at the same time, which felt great! Fabrics are all from Anna Maria Horner's Garden Party line and were leftovers from my stash. This is now my third mini quilt in a row to use fabrics only from my stash! This is great. All the more reason to continue to built a stash--having fabrics on hand just when you need them. 

No comments: