Friday, September 18, 2009

In progress: YBR quilting

YBR circles quilting 5
I've yet to finish hand-stitching the binding on these quilts, but I've completed the quilting and the binding is ON! I wasn't sure how to quilt them; I've done angular quilting and curlicue quilting on other Yellow Brick Road quilts before, but neither of those patterns seemed right for these. I brought the tops to my LQS, and that's where the circles idea came in.

YBR circles quilting 2
I traced plates and bowls of different sizes onto the quilts and quilted with my walking foot, which did a nice job around the curves. I used the biggest plate first and quilted one quilt, then tried to replicate it on the second quilt. It took me a couple of hours to get both of them quilted, but I like how they turned out, and they're both really similar to each other, so I'm happy about that.

YBR circles quilting 3
In the border, I traced my pincushion once per row and once in each corner, then connected them with diagonal lines. I free-motion quilted these. The circles are a lot more wonky than the ones on the top, but I do like the way the border echoes the design. And it's good to add a *little* wonkiness, right? Now all that's left is the hand-stitching, which I hope to finish in the next week.

No comments: