Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gifted: Little Red Riding Hood quilt

V quilt 1
My friend Vanessa loves Little Red Riding Hood. Vanessa is super amazing and sweet and generous; Rob and I knew her in another life (undergrad) and fate moved her halfway across the country to be our neighbor! Rob and I are car-free, and Vanessa has been sweet enough to take us all over the place for groceries, vet visits, literary road trips... you name it. I'd been wanting to do something special for her, and she just had a big birthday, so a Little Red Riding Hood quilt seemed perfect.

I on V quilt 7
The main fabrics are Kokka prints that I bought from Superbuzzy. I supplemented them with Kona solids in a variety of shades, including bone, and one Nicey Jane print that coordinated perfectly. The layout was inspired by this amazing quilt, though I fussy cut the scenes and ended up with larger--and fewer--blocks for my version.

V quilt back
For the back I strip-pieced what was left of the Little Red fabrics and the solids, then stitched them all together. The quilt ends up nearly reversible! Except for the label, which was actually a reject block that I embroidered around:
V quilt label
I really love that bit. The whole thing was quilted in random lines--some straight, some slightly curved. I did my best not to decapitate any Little Reds! I like the final effect, though I now wish I had decided to bite the bullet and free-motion quilt some of this (more on that later). Still, this is probably the most modern quilt I've ever made, and it was definitely well received!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I LOVE THIS!!! One of my favorite quilts you've made! Besides mine :) Love all those colors together on the back, too!

50 foot QE said...

Darn toot'n!