Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dear Jane

Another Dear Jane post! I've completed four blocks already, all completely stitched by hand! I guess you could say I'm on a roll, though there are other crafts sneaking up that will be needing attention soon, so this may be the furthest I get for a while. 

Anyway, the block above is A8. I am afraid I switched my triangles and used the inset ones on the corners and vice-versa. Oops. But I spent a couple of hours stitching this block and only had that realization at the end, so I'm not about to redo it. A finished quilt is better than a perfect quilt! And I must believe that if I ever plan to finish anything! 

My new question is, What would Jane do? What would she do in this situation? My guess is that she would make do and add a little extra sashing around the block. The blocks in her quilt do not all finish at the same size, and those that don't just received some extra sashing to make them fit. I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to let that get me down. I'm going to keep on working. 

This is my finished block B3. Isn't it lovely? Those curved seams are inset--no applique here! I guess after doing my fans quilt I realized how not difficult curve sewing is. I actually had a lot of fun with this one and completed it in just over an hour during the Celtics/Cavs game last night. And guess what? It finishes at exactly 5"! I'm hoping for a lot more of THAT in my Dear Jane future. 

A side note, but I wanted to wish my dear husband a very happy birthday today! He is so wonderful in everything, especially his patience with my and my whims, and his willingness to allow my projects to overtake the living room and the bulk of our movie-watching. I love you, Bert! 

No comments: