Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Weekend Craft: Fabric Basket

As promised, here's my weekend craft post update. Despite a growing queue of stuff to do before I take a week-long trip to Wisconsin for a bunch of family stuff, I decided to whip up this fabric basket from a pattern in The Crafter's Companion

I really liked the book, but I had a lot of difficulty with the pattern. I'm pretty certain some of the measurements are wrong, as I had to take a good inch out of the middle of the lining to make it fit correctly (though I was having trouble keeping my seam allowance consistent around the bottom of the box) and I had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the drawstring top where it attaches to the basket. 

Also, I learned I should trust myself and my sewing experience OVER a pattern if things don't seem as logical as they should. In this instance, the pattern had me put the sides of the box together, assemble them and keep them inside-out, and THEN attach the handles. That was the biggest pain in the you-know-what ever. After looking at the pattern I briefly considered attaching the handles before attaching the box sides, but decided not to because I wanted to follow the pattern accurately. That could've saved me some frustration and swearing. 

Overall, though, it was a good project, one I'd be willing to tackle again. Differently, though. I did like working with the interfacing, which was sturdy but also really easy to sew through. For some reason, this was my first time using a stabilizer, but I see a LOT more of that in my sewing future. I also want to try some other kinds of fabric boxes. 

Also, there's been a recent and disturbing realization in our household: I don't like Jean-Luc Godard. We watched Contempt last night, and I didn't like it. I also didn't like Band of Outsiders, A Woman Is a Woman, Masculin Feminin, and I can't say I really enjoyed Breathless, either. I just can't handle watching all of those twee domestic arguments. I hate being IN those arguments, and it's MUCH WORSE to be watching them. There are redeeming qualities of all these films, definitely. But as for me, and my personal taste, I just can't do it any more. I'm sorry, world cinema, for snubbing one of your masters. 

No comments: