As I mentioned in this post, I made this quilt as a wedding gift for a friend who is getting married this Saturday. The signature and binding didn't happen as I expected (read: a few days later than initially planned), but I finished hand-stitching the binding on Saturday morning and washed and dried the entire thing on Sunday. I think it turned out really well and hope it is used and loved.
Here's a detail of the quilting on the focus panel. I am still so in love with how washing and drying creates that lovely texture. I also think it helps to hide some tension issues I have happening on the back! As I mentioned previously, the seam-y-ness of the focus panel made quilting it a bit tricky at times, but I don't really know a way around it. I suppose having the walking foot on, as opposed to the free-motion foot, would've made feeding it through a bit easier, but I would've hated rotating the quilt so much to get this pattern!
For my signature I departed from my usual "KK 2008" chain stitch in favor of a backstitched (with two strands of embroidery floss, I believe) signature with the full wedding date. I figured I'd do that little extra to add to the specialness of the quilt. I think it turned out well, and I did like using the backstitch instead of the chain stitch. For one thing, I got a lot less puckering. For another, I think it went quicker this way. I did this entire thing in about 1.5 hours, and that's how long it usually takes me to do just the initials and the year.
This quilt was an experiment in a lot of ways, and I think it was successful in that it turned out well and also taught me a lot about how to proceed with things in the future. I tend to forget, but each craft is a valuable learning experience for me, whether or not I decide to make the same thing again.