Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Little bits quilt finished

Finally, here are finished post-wash photos of the little bits quilt I made for my friend JJ's birthday. (Note: I never pre-wash my fabrics because I love the scrunchy, wrinkled, shrinky look of machine washed and dried quilts, so these post-wash photos represent the quilt in its final form.) JJ loved it. Her living room furniture is brown and red, so I took that into account when choosing the fabrics. Finished quilt size is around 43" x 60". 

I envisioned this project as a "reversible" quilt but saw the brown as being the top because the red can be a bit much all together like that. As you can see from the picture above, I staggered the patchwork sections so they wouldn't both be in the middle and make that part a lot more "seam-y". 

As I mentioned in my last post on this project, I quilted in channels in the ditch on the patchwork on the brown side and extended the lines to either end. When I sandwiched the quilt I did my best to keep the seams of the little bits sections in line, but they finish at around 1" and were at either ends of the quilt, so that turned out to be impossible. Hence the above photo, where the quilting lines run right through the patchwork sections instead of in the ditch. Yuck. Still, for most of the quilt, they're pretty close to the seam lines, so it could've been worse. But like I said earlier, it was given on Saturday and the recipient loved it, so that's all that matters, right? And I have nearly 1/2 yard left of both of the fabrics. Yippee for me and my stash! 

No comments: