Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall mini-quilt sent

Now that my partner for the Swap Til You Drop October swap has received her quilt, I can post about it! This month's theme was fall, and after some deliberation (quilter's block??) I decided the best thing to do was make a pumpkin patch. The ladies at my local quilt shop were immensely helpful in choosing fabric for this project. 

I mean, look at that sky! I think it's the perfect way to represent the dusk sky. It's so perfect with those oranges, too. To make this quilt I used a variety of techniques. The stems are all appliquéd, the vines are embroidered, the pumpkins are hand-quilted, and the grass and sky are free-motion machine-quilted. I also threw some stars in the sky, just to up the cute factor. 

I loved these colors and this idea so much that I made a second quilt at the same time--for me! I've decided that whenever I can, I will make two quilts for my swaps. That way I will add up the mini-quilts much faster, plus I'll be able to keep some of my quilts here. Next month's theme is two-color quilts and I'm really wanting to use some traditional blocks to make this one. Hmm... I am thinking, but don't want to finalize ideas or colors until I get my swap partner at the end of the month.