Monday, October 27, 2008

Finished project: circles mini-quilt

I've posted on this project a bunch of times already, but it's finally finished! Pieced, appliquéd, and quilted entirely by hand. Phew! Again, it's based on the Japanese Circles pattern in the book Bits and Pieces (which, by the way, I love). I don't even want to think about how many hours went into making this quilt. It definitely was a learning experience. 

Here's a detail of one of the circles and some of the quilting. I quilted in the ditch of all the seams with brown thread that I waxed myself, and then quilted around the circles a little away from the seam with some white hand-quilting thread. This was possibly the hardest part, as it's really difficult to load on multiple stitches while stitching in a curve. 

Here's a detail of the quilting from the back. It's really hard to see--sorry. I had a hard time getting really small stitches, but I was able to do a pretty good job (I think) on consistent stitches. I guess I just need lots more practice... 

No comments: