Saturday, May 30, 2009

Weekend Sewing Summer Blouse

summer blouse 2
I've had Heather Ross's book Weekend Sewing since February, but I only just got around to making the Summer Blouse, which was the project I'd wanted to make most! I actually made a lot of modifications to the pattern and went through two muslins to get the design set. I have been using flat sheets from Target to try out all my patterns before actually cutting into the $9/yard fabrics I've bought for these things. I use a hera marker to trace the paper pattern onto the sheet, and then I sew the pattern together with a basting stitch. If it needs adjustments, I make them on the sheet. Once I get it how I want, I take the pieces apart and use those to cut out my actual pattern pieces. It's a great way to save customizations to a printed pattern, and to extend the life of a printed pattern, too. It is a little time-consuming, but it's nice to not wonder how something is going to turn out!

summer blouse 3

For this top I spent three hours working up two different muslins. I made a lot of changes to the original; I:
  • lengthened the body
  • shortened the sleeves
  • lowered the neckline
  • raised the armpit hole (but didn't change the sleeve shape)
  • took in and shaped the sides
  • raised the bust darts
  • added a v-neck
  • pleated the sleeve

...that's all! ;) I also used a pre-made binding tape for the neckline and my machine's invisible hem stitch to hem the bottom and the sleeves. Fabric is from Anna Maria Horner's Garden Party line (of course!).

The verdict? I love this top. Totally worth all the time and effort I put into it!

2 comments:

Journeying Five said...

love the colour! good job!

Miranda said...

I saw your picture in the Flickr group. Your top is adorable. I was wondering if you would share how many pleats you put in the sleeves. I love the look of them. Great job.
Miranda