Friday, July 24, 2009

July STUD swap sent

STUD July sent
I just heard from my partner that the July swap quilt I sent has been received! Here's what I made. The theme was "summer lovin'," and one of the things I love most about summer is having the windows open and hearing Iris sing to the birds. 

STUD July detail 2
I hand-appliquéd all of the birds and leaves and then embroidered the legs, eyes, and beaks. It took me quite a while to get to the quilting stage. The last time I made quilts like these I used a scribbly stipple to quilt the backgrounds, but this time I used my walking foot to outline the birds and leaves and then to echo-quilt the background. I think it gives the quilt a little bit of motion. It still took me a good hour to quilt each one. 

STUD July mini + twin
As usual, I made a "twin" quilt for myself! I really liked working with the pretty watercolor-like fabrics, which are from In the Beginning via my LQS. 

I'm still thinking about the August swap and what to make. For the last few months, I've done some pretty intense piecing and handwork, so I'd really like to do something a little less time-consuming, but still awesome and something my partner would enjoy. So, still thinking about what to sign up for... 

No comments: