Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More clothes sewing

Sew U Urban Garden skirt 2
Still catching up on things I made a while ago. These items were all made over the 4th of July weekend, I think. It's already been so long that I can't remember! This skirt is from the skirt pattern in Sew U (which I love) and is made from Erin McMorris Urban Garden fabric from Free Spirit. The fabric is lightweight and soft and really perfect for this summery skirt. If I'd had it on hand, I considered adding a 1" yellow ribbon around the bottom, about 2" above the hem, but I didn't have any, so I didn't add it. I think that's probably best, especially with this directional print. A ribbon might cut it up too much...? 

Sew U skirt + WS blouse 1
This other outfit was completely made by me! (Sorry for the ridiculous picture--I cannot seem to take decent ones of myself anymore! Anyone have any tips?) The skirt is the same pattern from Sew U, and the top is my revised pattern from Weekend Sewing. On this skirt (the main fabric of which is a Mary Engelbreit print), I added a pleated ruffle made with a '30s repro fabric. I like the way this pleated ruffle turned out--it's so much more orderly than the gathered ruffles I usually do. The top is a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton in a very pale blue. It's pretty, and it should go with a lot of my patterned skirts, so will be very versatile for the summer. I'm happy with how all of this turned out, and I'm sure I'll be creating from both of those patterns again. 

No comments: