Thursday, September 10, 2009

Replacement apron

zig zag apron front
Remember this horrendous craft fail? And how the only way to deal was to make a new and cute apron? Done and done! I actually spent about a month and a half working on this, off and on. I finished it mid-August but forgot to take pictures for whatever reason, so here we are! The pattern is from the Spring 2009 issue of Stitch magazine (buy it! love it!). The instructions were clear, the pattern pieces fit together, the apron is cute and functional... A definite improvement on my previous apron! 

I followed the pattern pretty exactly, except I used a machine zig zag stitch for the appliqué instead of doing it by hand, and I omitted the appliquéd bubbles, too. I don't mind handwork, but I have plenty to do already, and after my last spectacular failure, I didn't want to invest a ton of time into this if it wasn't going to work out. 

zig zag apron back
Possibly the best thing about this apron is how it wraps around the sides. And how the ties criss-cross in the back, come through button holes, and tie in the front. It's cute, it flares like a skirt, and it offers full-coverage for hip-wiping. When I cook, I'm a wiper. 

So, this is the last of my August finishes (other than some birthday stuff I already hinted at and can show you next week). I am making good progress on some WIP quilts and hope to have three finishes this month, plus my minis for the swap. I already have one done, so two more + two minis to go. Stay tuned! 

No comments: